Thursday, January 15, 2009

THE WEDDING PLANNING HAS BEGUN!

I'm off and running with the plans for my May 3oth wedding or "hochzeit" in German .  We booked our flight yesterday and we're scheduled to arrive a week and a half before the big day.  We also have an officiant.  He's  a good friend and he married my sister Marsha 4 yrs ago.  Marsha, along with my other sister Janet will be handling most of the arrangements in Cincy. We are expecting to exchange numerous emails and have several weekly video chats in order to get things accomplished.  This is going to be a very simple wedding so, I don't have a long checklist of things to do.  We won't need any vendors,  I'll be doing most of the work in coordination with my sisters.  Here is what I've checked off of my list so far:

LOCATION:  The wedding will be held at my Dad's home.  He has a fairly nice sized backyard and we want to have the ceremony outdoors with a picnic reception to follow.  So,  I'm praying for lovely weather.

GUEST-LIST:  No invitations required.  We are keeping the guest to family and close friends.  Ralf's list is very small because, he has a small family.  He has two sisters who live in the states, they are both attending.  We are not sure if his mom will travel from Germany with us.  My list on the other hand is huge, because I have a huge family.  I am one of 11, the youngest actually.  In addition to Marsha and Janet, I have 5 other sisters and 4 brothers.  All except Marsha and I have children.  My nieces and nephews are all adults and have families of their own.  My dad has a large home but, in the event of rain everyone will not fit comfortable in the house.  So,  I'm praying for lovely weather and of course making arrangements for a plan B.

RECEPTION:  I want to keep everything simple, elegant and cost effective.  I worked in the bridal industry for 5 years and I know how expensive a wedding can be.  I'm not going that route.  I just want to marry Ralf and have our families there to celebrate with us, no bells and whistles.  As I mentioned, it will be a picnic reception and my family is providing the food.  The wedding will be pretty much like a normal weekend get together for us, which is what I want.

THEME:  "VINTAGE ELEGANCE"  I've selected Pink, Black and White as the wedding color palette.  I've been browsing MarthaStewart.com and a few other web sources for ideas and inspiration.  Ralf and I love candles and butterflies so, we will be incorporating lots of both in the wedding decor.



BRIDAL  PARTY:  I'm not really having "bridesmaids".  I have asked all of my sisters and my good friend Sara from high school to wear pink dresses of their choice.  I'm not going to be picky about what they wear, I just want them to be comfortable.  Three of my  nieces  will serve as flower girls.  Ralf is not having a best man or groomsmen. There will be just the two of us at the alter.  My dad will not be able to walk me down the aisle or wherever I will be walking to so, I will have my 4 brothers walk me down the aisle and have my Dad hand me over to Ralf.  I am really looking forward to this moment.  All of the men will be in dark suits with a tiny pink accent, maybe a tie or the boutonniere.

So, that's where things stand so far.  My next big project........THE DRESS!!

No comments: