Monday, March 22, 2010

BREAK A LEG!




About 8 years ago I was working for Vee Corporation. At that time, Vee produced large scale theater shows for kids such as Sesame Street Live, Dora the Explorer and Dragon Tales . I worked as a puppeteer and live performer in their Dragons Tales show for 2 seasons. I was initially hired as a puppeteer but, I was also cast in a greeter role. ( Greeters performed an interactive song and dance number with the audience before each show.)

The cast and I had a great times traveling all over the country. We performed in large arenas, mostly in major cities all over the country. I've even performed at the Beacon Theater on Broadway and at the Olympic Village Theater in Seoul Korea. My cast-mate and roommate Blakely sent me a couple of photos of us backstage in our greeter costumes before a performance. What great memories!

The costumes were not the cutest but, it was so much fun to sing and dance with the kids before each show.

Everybody sing!!!!!!!!

Emmy wished on a Dragon Scale and that what started Dragon Tales.
Around the room the dragons flew but, Emmy and Max knew what to do.
They climbed on the backs of their dragon friends, now the adventures never end!
Dragon Tales, Dragon Tales is almost time for Dragon Tales!
Come along and take my hand, let's all go to Dragon Land!



This is Quetzel the Dragon one of the many puppets that I performed in the show. You really can't get a good idea of the size of this puppet from this photo but, he is huge! It took two puppeteers to manipulate him: one to operate the mouth, head and eyes, that was my job, and another person to make the arm movements. My other puppet characters were The Giant of Nod, Nippy the Snow dog. and Princess Kadoodle.


The main characters Cassie, Ord, Zak and Weezie were performed by actors in full body costume. I was too tall to be a costumes performer. Thank God! These guys were always super sweaty after the show. In my second season I played the role of Willie the Walrus. ( I think Willie is now known as Wyatt) Willie's home is in a wishing well so, I was able to sit in my costume during his scenes.
The actors who played Max and Emmy were very talented! They were all around great singers, dancers, and actors. I wonder what these girls are up to now? Yes, Max was played by a girl!


I wish that I had more of my personal photos to share but, they are packed away in boxes back in Ohio. Performing in Dragon Tales was a really great experience for me. It was a great opportunity to travel and to meet new people.
Interested in seeing a Dragon Tales Live Show, check out the Dragon Tales PBS website!


No comments: