Monday, January 19, 2009

THE DRESS OF MY DREAMS


With only a few months to prepare for the wedding, it's about time I started thinking about my wedding dress (hockzeitskleid).  I want my dress to have a vintage look to it so, over the last few days I've been pouring though photos and web sites in search of  you guessed it.... inspiration.

I've decided not to go the traditional route to shop for my bridal gown.  I worked as a bridal consultant in a bridal salon for 4 years.  Shopping for a bridal gown can be stressful and time consuming.  Stress I don't need and time, I have very little.  My bridal gown will be custom made by the  fabulous ladies of J & J Designs in Newport Kentucky.  J & J Designs is Jackie Andrews and Joy Galbraith.  I worked with the ladies in the costume shop that Joy owns called the Costume Gallery.   I was employed there for 4 years and I've done some freelance millinery work for Joy since I've been away.  The ladies were gracious enough to agree to make the dress for me even though my wedding date coincides with their busy theater season. 

image of V2979
These two dresses are the blueprints for the dress of my dreams.  I love the simple elegance of the Vogue pattern. Many of the elements in this dress will be incorporated into mine.  I am particularly drawn to the neckline and the lacy bodice.   We will make modifications to the sleeves, perhaps removing them all together or leaving a tiny cap sleeve.  I'm not a big fan of the sash at the waistline so, we'll see what we can do with that.  Because the wedding will be held outdoors, I'm opting for no train.  We'll make the dress Ballerina length( that's the length of the dress in the first photo).  I really like the placement of the lace on the shorter dress and would like to mimic this detail as well.    I should be receiving fabric swatches sometime this week.  After I select my fabrics and send my measurements ( need to work on the tummy )  the ladies can get started.  I won't get to try my dress on until a week and a half before the wedding. Joy and Jackie are excellent at what they do so, I totally trust them to make the dress for me while I'm on the other side of the ocean.    I'm so excited!


No comments: